Symptoms of packet loss include:
- Slow speeds
- High latency/ping
- Lag during games
- Buffering while streaming video
- Dropped calls while on wifi
To test for packet loss, you will first need either a Windows or Mac OS computer.
On Windows 10:
- Open Command Prompt/Windows Powershell (either will work)
- Right click the windows icon in the lower left corner
- Select Command Prompt or Powershell
- Enter the command as follows: ping -n 100 22.214.171.124
- ping = The command to ping, leave unchanged
- -n XXX = This allows you to set the number of times it tests. The default is 4.
- X.X.X.X = This is the ip address you are testing the connection too. We recommend Cloudflare (126.96.36.199) or Google (188.8.131.52).
- Check the summary when completed for percentage of packet loss.
On Mac OS:
- Open Searchlight in the upper right-hand corner.
- Search for a program named "Terminal"
- enter the command: ping 184.108.40.206
- Stop the test by pressing the Control and C keys together